Beginners sewing at home! - Online
Wanted to sew but have absolutely no idea where to start? Well fear no more - we have the perfect solution!
You can now extend your thread of knowledge with this 'Online' sewing workshop for beginners. Join Craig from The Fashion Box for this two-hour class offering an introduction to domestic sewing machines.
The session is delviered via Zoom, you will recieve the Zoom link two days before the workshop begins. All you need to do is click the link.
After getting to grips with threading, you'll also have the opportunity to explore different stitching techniques and seams as well as understanding all the accessories that come with your machine, all with easy techniques provided by your fashion host.
Once completed, you will be able to join us for one of our many other workshops, to build up yours skills, leaving you confident to sew at home.
1. Understanding the sewing machine, accessories and its functions
2. Threading on your bobbin and inserting in the machine
3. Threading the top threads - tips on what can go wrong and how to rectify
4. Sewing with fabric for the first time
5. Backstitching and securing your row of stitches
6. Experimenting with all the different stitch styles on your machine - and their uses
7. Sewing in straight line, around corners, around curves and spirals - using the foot control
8. Overlock / Zig-zag stitch to prep your fabrics for wearability
9. Sewing your first seam
10. French Seams
11. Using the buttonhole function and foot on your machine
1. Sewing machine
2. Threads x 2 colours (a good qauality thread such as Gutterman or Coats Moon)
3. About 1 metre of cotton fabric (ideally a neutral colour, such as white or beige)
Two days before the class starts, we will send you via email, a PDF pattern to use to cut out the samples of fabric your will need for the class. We will also send you a worksheet, to print out.
Please have these ready for your online session.
Don't miss out on this fantastic introduction where you're sure to leave understanding the basics of using a sewing machine, and ready to tackle your first garment or sewing project.
Students can cancel or reschedule their session up to 2 days before the session booking date.
Only one rescehdule permitted per booking.