Introduction to dressmaking: Patterns / Fabrics / Cutting out
Would you like to venture out and and broaden your pattern, sewing and cutting out knowledge....and delve into the world of dressmaking?
Commercial patterns, fabrics and cutting out, can fill sewing 'newbies' with horror!
This seminar has been created to help you completely understand how to use commercial patterns, so you can, with ease, start experimenting with these at home.
This workshop is delivered as a seminar, with the opportunity for you to ask as many questions are you like, to help you understand how clothing patterns work.
The seminar will be delivered with demonstrations and information on the following:
1. Choosing the right projects and fabrics for your skill level
2. Understanding fabrics and their 'properties'.
3. Prepping your fabrics (Pre-wash Vs Steaming)
4. Reading the back of the pattern envelope
5. Measurement charts
6. Calculating fabric consumption (how much fabric do I need?)
7. What fabric do I need?
8. Haberdashery (buttons, zips etc)
9. Cutting out your paper patterns (PDF and paper patterns)
10. The importance of pattern symbols and their meanings
11. Notches / tailors tacks / marking your fabric
12. Folding your fabric ready for cutting
13, Grainlines: (grainline / cross grain / bias cut)
14. Layplans: Placing the patterns onto the fabric correctly, using the symbols as guides
15. Cutting out techniques (scissors Vs rotary cutters)
16. Notches / tailors tacks / marking your fabric
17. Understanding pattern 'making up' instructions
As there is a lot of information that we would like to teach you, this particular workshop does not really have any practical elements to it.
We would advise taking notes, plus you are welcome to video any demonstrations during the session, so you have something to look back and learn from at home.
A great information based seminar for all those wanting to branch out into using dressmaking patterns.
Craig, your host, will also advise you on the tools you will need for your sewing kit, and where to buy them.
Your safety is important to us!
On entering, we will have sanitiser stations for you to to freshen up. All machinery, sewing stations, and tools you will be using, will be sanitised before you arrive, and between each session.
At your sewing station you will also have sanitiser wipes, should you feel you need to use them.
Our lavatories are communal, but they will be supplied with santiser wipes, hand wash and disposable towels.
You are welcome inside with or without a mask, but please respect the choices of others, should they choose to wear a mask or not.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
Notebook and pen.
DO I NEED TO PROVIDE INFORMATION BEFORE I ATTEND?
No, just turn up on the day!
RESCHEDULE & REFUND POLICY:
You can cancel or amend a booking up to 7 days before your booking date.
Please note: Doors close 15 minutes after the start time on all workshops. We do not offer reschedules or refunds to latecomers, or outside of our policy.
Please give yourself plenty of time to travel and find the studio. Doors are open 15 minutes before the start time.
This is a 1.5 hour workshop.
This workshop is suitable for 14 years and above. All students under the age of 17, must be accompanied by a participating adult.