Make a Dress in a Day
This six-hour class offers tuition in techniques for constructing a dress using a dressmaking pattern, as well as sewing darts, using an overlocker, inserting an invisible zip and sewing facings.
All fabrics and zips are included, just bring yourselves! (....and maybe a packed lunch, or there are cafes and Sainsbury's nearby)
- Intro to the sewing machine – threading
- Identifying and rectifying sewing problems
- Introduction to Commercial Patterns – the different brands and difficulty
- How to read a commercial pattern
- Understanding your measurements
- Fabrics – understanding fabric types and their qualities
- Calculating and understanding fabric consumption
- Important questions to ask your fabric supplier
- Preparing fabrics ready for sewing
- How to lay your pattern pieces correctly
- How to cut out correctly
- Marking your pattern pieces ready for sewing
- Sewing bust and waist darts – what can go wrong?
- Using pins correctly
- Pressing / ironing professionally
- Using the overlocker for a professional finish
- Inserting an invisible zip
LUNCHTIME (30-45 Mins)
- Facings – what are they used for
- Interlinings / Interfacing and its uses
- Attaching facings, and sewing around curves (armholes and necklines)
- Understanding seam allowances
- Pressing techniques
There will be a selection of different fabric styles to choose from in your workshop. As there is not time for everyone to cut out individual dresses, these are prepared for you, so please inform us of your dress size beforehand.
This workshop is aimed at beginners making their first garment, and we work with standard sizes 4 - 24.
The focus of this workshop is to teach you the dressmaking skills needed to be confident for you to try this at home.
This workshop does not focus on fitting, or made-to-measure garments. We do offer other workshops in these more advanced techniques. Which you will be able to advance to once you have learnt the basics.
It is advised that workshoppers complete the Intro to Sewing workshop beforehand, or have used a sewing machine before. as you will find this workshop easier to manage.
Once you have made a booking, we will send out a size chart for you to select your size from. It is important that you check your emails and spam folder, so you can request a specific size.
It is also advisable to provide a mobile number, should we need to contact you.
If you do not request a specific size, on the day you will be able to select from random sizes on our reserves rail.
Your safety is important to us!
We will now be reducing the size of the workshop from 10 people to 5-6 people per class, to adhere to the social distancing measures. As we are reducing the class numbers, it is important that students adhere and respect our cancellation policy, until we can get business back to normal, and teach at the required capacity.
On entering, we will have sanitiser stations for you to to freshen up. All machinery, sewing stations, and tools you will be using, will be sanitised before you arrive, and between each session.
At your sewing station you will also have sanitiser wipes, should you feel you need to use them.
Our lavatories are communal, but they will be supplied with santiser wipes, hand wash and disposable towels.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
Everything is provided in this workshop.
DO I NEED TO PROVIDE INFORMATION BEFORE I ATTEND?
Yes, you will need to provide your dress size, from the size chart we will send out to you. Please note that dressmaking patterns are NOT your retail size. So it advisable that you check the size chart.
RESCHEDULE & REFUND POLICY
You can cancel or amend a booking up to 7 days before your booking date.
Please note: Doors close 15 minutes after the start time on all workshops. We do not allow reschedules or refunds to latecomers, or outside of our cancellation policy.
This is a 6 hour workshop.
This workshop is suitable for 14 years and above. All students under the age of 17, must be accompanied by a participating adult.